The phlebotomist is a vital member of the clinical laboratory team, whose main function is to obtain patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and micro-collection for testing purposes. Phlebotomists are employed throughout the healthcare system including in hospitals, neighborhood health centers, medical group practices, HMO’s, public health facilities, veteran hospitals, insurance carriers, and in other healthcare settings. The demand for phlebotomy technicians has increased substantially with the overall complexity of healthcare services and the risks of infectious disease. Current healthcare industry experts predict a 15% increase in phlebotomy jobs by 2024.
This program prepares learners to collect blood specimens from clients for the purpose of laboratory analysis. Learners will become familiar with all aspects of blood collection and will review the skills needed to perform venipunctures safely. Topics in this course include medical terminology, related anatomy and physiology, blood collection procedures, and procedures for collection of other types of specimens within the scope of practice of the phlebotomist.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Explain the steps in selected specimen collection procedures performed by the phlebotomy technician
- Explain the safety procedures in the healthcare setting and specifically in performing specimen collection procedures
- Identify specific supplies and equipment used in selected specimen collection procedures
- Explain precautions and guidelines when collecting specimens in special populations such as pediatrics and geriatrics
- Define quality of care and explain the impact on patient medical care when quality and safety are compromised in phlebotomy procedures
- Describe the anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and medical terminology associated with phlebotomy
- Describe the requirements of the successful phlebotomy career including desired character traits, training and education, roles and responsibilities
- Explain how phlebotomists communicate with others in the healthcare setting verbally, nonverbally, within the health record, and using computer systems
- Identify common legal issues, ethical issues, and regulatory issues commonly impacting the phlebotomist
There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
American Society of Phlebotomy Technician (ASPT) Phlebotomy Technician(CPT)Exam
NHA Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Exam
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here.
+ Are these courses associated with an accredited school?
These courses are offered by Texas A&M University Texarkana, in partnership with Job Training Courses (JTC). Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a regionally accredited institution and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
+ Are there available financial aids (FAFSA, Pell Grant, etc)?
We currently do not have support for federal or state grants. However, we offer zero interest payment plans for up to 12 months. Students can take advantage of these payment plans without worrying about credit check.
+ Can I verify if this is legitimate?
Yes. You may contact Texas A&M University - Texarkana directly. Please see the contact information below:
+ I'm located at a different state. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are in the country. Please note however that it is important for you to check state requirements to ensure that the program will be accepted in the state you will be employed in.
+ I'm located outside of the US. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are. However, please note that certain programs are only designed to be taken for employment within the United States. An example of this are the Healthcare programs.
+ If I cannot complete the program within the prescribed duration, what are my options?
We offer program extensions for a certain period at no extra cost. Please message us here to speak with one of our advisors.
Have more questions? Contact us here