The need for Pharmacy Technicians continues to grow with demand expected to increase substantially through 2024. Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other healthcare settings. This high demand for pharmacy technicians is the result of a multitude of factors including the constant availability of new drugs, the national shortage of registered pharmacists, the establishment of certified pharmacy technicians, and the aging population. Approximately 400,000 technicians will be employed by the year 2024 to meet our nation’s growing healthcare demands.
This comprehensive course will prepare learners to enter the pharmacy field and take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam. Content includes pharmacy medical terminology, reading and interpreting prescriptions and defining generic and brand names drugs and much, much more. This program will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to pursue certification including the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Define the difference between retail and hospital pharmacy settings
- Demonstrate ethical conduct in all duties performed
- Explain the laws that govern pharmacy, whether federal or state mandated
- Interpret physician orders and prescriptions
- Prepare and explain the administration of medications
- Define medical and pharmaceutical terms and common abbreviations
- Explain the pharmacology of medications in relation to the anatomy affected
- Perform pharmaceutical calculations
- Communicate effectively with patients and medical professionals
- Recognize the importance of confidentiality of all patient information
- Process insurance billing and/or collect payments
- Control inventory
- Discuss important milestones and leaders in the history of pharmacy practice
- Identify the requirements, behaviors, characteristics, and career options for the pharmacy technician
- Describe how advances in technology and research impacts pharmacy practice
- Describe the commonly used drug reference resources including the major reason for use and the organization
- Describe the drugs in the current Top 200 Drug List including brand and generic name, drug classification, and uses
Students who complete this course are prepared for national certification:
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) national technician certification exam
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here.
+ Are these courses associated with an accredited school?
These courses are offered by Texas A&M University Texarkana, in partnership with Job Training Courses (JTC). Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a regionally accredited institution and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
+ Are there available financial aids (FAFSA, Pell Grant, etc)?
We currently do not have support for federal or state grants. However, we offer zero interest payment plans for up to 12 months. Students can take advantage of these payment plans without worrying about credit check.
+ Can I verify if this is legitimate?
Yes. You may contact Texas A&M University - Texarkana directly. Please see the contact information below:
Executive Director, TAMUT EECD
+1 903 334 6683
+ I'm located at a different state. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are in the country. Please note however that it is important for you to check state requirements to ensure that the program will be accepted in the state you will be employed in.
+ I'm located outside of the US. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are. However, please note that certain programs are only designed to be taken for employment within the United States. An example of this are the Healthcare programs.
+ If I cannot complete the program within the prescribed duration, what are my options?
We offer program extensions for a certain period at no extra cost. Please message us here to speak with one of our advisors.
Have more questions? Contact us here