Medical billing and coding and medical administration is one of the fastest-growing careers in the healthcare industry today! The need for professionals who understand how to code healthcare services and procedures for third-party insurance reimbursement is growing substantially. Physician practices, hospitals, pharmacies, long-term care facilities, chiropractic practices, physical therapy practices, and other healthcare providers all depend on medical billing and coding and medical administrative professionals for insurance carrier reimbursement.
This program offers the skills needed to perform complex coding and billing procedures. The program covers: CPT (Introduction, Guidelines, Evaluation and Management), specialty fields (such as surgery, radiology and laboratory), the ICD-10 for both diagnosis and procedure coding, and basic claims processes for insurance reimbursements. This program delivers the skills learners need to solve insurance billing and coding problems. It details proper assignment of codes and the process to file claims for reimbursement. Additionally this program offers learners a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills individuals require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Build medical terms using word parts
- Interpret medical terms
- Describe the various medical specialties
- Recognize medical terms associated with various body systems
- Demonstrate the interconnectedness of body structures
- Communicate effectively in a professional healthcare environment
- Identify the important role of a medical coder in upholding ethical billing practices and in obtaining reimbursement for healthcare services
- Correctly use the ICD-10-CM for diagnostic coding
- Correctly use CPT codes for coding medical procedures
- Apply national and local HCPCS codes and modifiers
- Explain the purpose and use of ICD-10-PCS codes
- Function effectively in administrative and clerical positions in the medical office
- Describe the roles of individuals working in medical administrative capacities
- Manage health information and records according to privacy policies
- Complete basic billing and coding to process insurance forms
- Manage practice finances
- Assist in handling medical emergencies
- Describe techniques for academic and career development
- Describe the healthcare environment
There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder Exam (CPC or CPC-H Apprentice
American Health Information Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Billing and Coding Specialist Certification (CBCS)
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here.
+ Are these courses associated with an accredited school?
These courses are offered by Texas A&M University Texarkana, in partnership with Job Training Courses (JTC). Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a regionally accredited institution and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
+ Are there available financial aids (FAFSA, Pell Grant, etc)?
We currently do not have support for federal or state grants. However, we offer zero interest payment plans for up to 12 months. Students can take advantage of these payment plans without worrying about credit check.
+ Can I verify if this is legitimate?
Yes. You may contact Texas A&M University - Texarkana directly. Please see the contact information below:
+ I'm located at a different state. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are in the country. Please note however that it is important for you to check state requirements to ensure that the program will be accepted in the state you will be employed in.
+ I'm located outside of the US. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are. However, please note that certain programs are only designed to be taken for employment within the United States. An example of this are the Healthcare programs.
+ If I cannot complete the program within the prescribed duration, what are my options?
We offer program extensions for a certain period at no extra cost. Please message us here to speak with one of our advisors.
Have more questions? Contact us here