Medical administrative assistants primarily work in doctor’s offices, clinics, outpatient settings, hospitals, and other healthcare settings. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretaries, and medical records clerks are all positions in great demand. The growth and complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified medical administrative assistants. The employment of a medical assistant is expected to grow an impressive 34% by 2024.
This program covers information on the medical assisting profession, interpersonal skills, medical ethics and law, medical terminology, basics of insurance billing and coding, telephone techniques, scheduling appointments, medical records management and management of practice finances. This program prepares learners to function effectively in many of the administrative and clerical positions in the healthcare industry. The content provides learners a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills learners require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Provide an overview of the healthcare industry and expectations for a healthcare professional
- Understand the role of the medical administrative assistant
- Describe the history of medicine, medicine and the law, medical malpractice, medical ethics, and medical practice specialties
- Understand ethical and legal issues, fraud abuse, and compliance
- Employ office and patient communication techniques, conduct appointment scheduling and general office duties
- Employ technology in the healthcare environment
- Employ basic terminology used in the medical office
- Assist with medical records management, confidentiality of the medical record, initiating a medical record for a new client and filing reports in the medical record
- Implement HIPAA procedures and adhere to the patient bill of rights and confidentiality
- Understand financial and practice management
- Understand health insurance coverage, and billing and coding procedures
- Understand professional fees, billing and collecting procedures, accounting systems and credit arrangements
- Perform medical accounting, financial statements, cost analysis, and budgets for the medical practice
- Understand the fundamentals of specimen collection, laboratory safety and federal and state regulations
- Assist with medical emergencies
Students who complete this course are prepared for national certification:
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) can be proctored at a local testing facility and is available to all students who complete this program.
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here.
+ Are these courses associated with an accredited school?
These courses are offered by Texas A&M University Texarkana, in partnership with Job Training Courses (JTC). Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a regionally accredited institution and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
+ Are there available financial aids (FAFSA, Pell Grant, etc)?
We currently do not have support for federal or state grants. However, we offer zero interest payment plans for up to 12 months. Students can take advantage of these payment plans without worrying about credit check.
+ Can I verify if this is legitimate?
Yes. You may contact Texas A&M University - Texarkana directly. Please see the contact information below:
+ I'm located at a different state. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are in the country. Please note however that it is important for you to check state requirements to ensure that the program will be accepted in the state you will be employed in.
+ I'm located outside of the US. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are. However, please note that certain programs are only designed to be taken for employment within the United States. An example of this are the Healthcare programs.
+ If I cannot complete the program within the prescribed duration, what are my options?
We offer program extensions for a certain period at no extra cost. Please message us here to speak with one of our advisors.
Have more questions? Contact us here