The Clinical Medical Assistant Master program is designed to prepare students to function as professionals in multiple healthcare settings. Medical assistants with a clinical background perform various clinical tasks including assisting with the administration of medications and with minor procedures, performing an EKG electrocardiogram, obtaining laboratory specimens for testing, educating patients, and other related tasks. Job opportunities are prevalent with physician’s offices, clinics, chiropractor’s offices, hospitals and outpatient facilities.
Access to health information is changing the ways doctors care for patients. With the nation’s healthcare system moving to the electronic medical record, numerous employment opportunities exist for medical assistants, health information systems staff, patient registration professionals and other related positions. Healthcare professionals with the ability to understand, update and maintain the electronic health record are in great demand.
This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Clinical responsibilities of the medical office - assisting the physician with patient related care
- Preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine procedures and diagnostic testing
- HIPAA, patient confidentiality, legal aspects of healthcare and regulatory patient care issues
- Recording and taking of vital signs, blood pressure, and other patient care items related to the physician office visit
- Review and administration of medications, allergies & other pharmacology related items
- Laboratory procedures, phlebotomy and the proper techniques required to collect specimens for laboratory analysis
- Cardiology and the proper placement of leads when taking a 12 lead EKG
- Importance of the medical record as a legal document
- The effect of confidential communication laws, the release of information and HIPAA
- Provides a “real life” EHR experience using Med can software to perform health information tasks
- Skills required to use and EHR to manage patient visit information including the examination, assessment notes and treatment plans.
- Importance of data accuracy, consistency, completeness, and security of information
There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) Exam
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified EKG Technician (CET) exam
American Medical Technologist (AMT) Medical Assistant (RMA) Exam
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) exam
Note: In order to apply for the AMT RMA exam, students must have their official transcript from the University showing graduation from an MA program. MA program must have a minimum of 720 hours of instruction and include an externship of a minimum of 160 hours.
In addition to facilitating entry-level clinical medical assisting related positions, this course is ideal for students interested in pursuing a future formal Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Nursing (LPN) or a Nursing (RN) program.
+ Are these courses associated with an accredited school?
These courses are offered by Texas A&M University Texarkana, in partnership with Job Training Courses (JTC). Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a regionally accredited institution and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
+ Are there available financial aids (FAFSA, Pell Grant, etc)?
We currently do not have support for federal or state grants. However, we offer zero interest payment plans for up to 12 months. Students can take advantage of these payment plans without worrying about credit check.
+ Can I verify if this is legitimate?
Yes. You may contact Texas A&M University - Texarkana directly. Please see the contact information below:
Executive Director, TAMUT EECD
+1 903 334 6683
+ I'm located at a different state. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are in the country. Please note however that it is important for you to check state requirements to ensure that the program will be accepted in the state you will be employed in.
+ I'm located outside of the US. Can I take this program?
Yes. These programs are designed to be portable and accessible wherever you are. However, please note that certain programs are only designed to be taken for employment within the United States. An example of this are the Healthcare programs.
+ If I cannot complete the program within the prescribed duration, what are my options?
We offer program extensions for a certain period at no extra cost. Please message us here to speak with one of our advisors.
Have more questions? Contact us here