Environmental Science involves the interdisciplinary approach to our world in terms of the history of environmental concerns, biomes, species interaction with each other and their environment, air, water, soil and biological resources, population dynamics, toxicology, energy sources, land use management and other related topics. All different sciences combine to make up the complexities of environmental science and learners embarking on this journey will gain a comprehensive understanding of how these interconnected disciplines all interact to create the environment we occupy. For any individuals working in architecture, green building, government or public policy, a background in environmental science helps to inform a variety of decisions in these professions.
For this program, learners will take an in-depth look at the functions of all things on planet earth, its atmosphere, composition and structure as well as the inhabitants that occupy it. The program will explore various toxic substances that can affect the delicate balance that results from this complex interconnectivity and understand how just the slightest alteration in one aspect can affect the whole. Further, this program explores the relationship between man and the environment. Learners will examine the balance between natural resources and the needs of mankind. Participants will further explore the scientific, political, economic, and social implications of environmental science that affect a variety of public policy decisions at multiple levels of government.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Examine the field of Environmental Science in terms of science, theoretical perspectives, economics, and environmental ethics
- Explain the foundations of environmental science
- Examine environmental economics and policies
- Examine population growth and demographic transitions
- Evaluate soil as a system and its importance in the environment
- Describe the function of the earth’s atmosphere, its composition, structure, and the changing global climate
- Examine toxic substances and their effects
- Appraise the importance of water and marine ecosystems
- Examine the biodiversity on earth and conservation biology and its benefits
- Analyze land use and planning for creating livable cities
- Examine non-renewable energy sources, and their impact on the environment
- Examine renewable energy
- Analyze waste disposal methods and the types of waste we generate
- Use Microsoft Office®
Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.There is National Certification exam that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Environmental Science (SC-ENV)
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here
- MyCAA for Eligible US Military Spouses
MyCAA is a $4000 education grant for spouses of service members on active duty in paygrades E1-E5, W1-W2, O1-O2. Spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserves in the same paygrades, in title 10 orders, are also eligible.
MyCAA covers: tuition, externship and national certification exam vouchers
Our university partners provide, as job aids, at no extra cost: books / workbooks, laptop, mentor support, 12 mos subscription to CampusEd, job placement assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Army Credentialing Assistance
The Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) program is a government-instituted training and education program that provides a grant of up to $4,000 to eligible soldiers. The grant can be used to enroll in more than 1,600 industry-recognized off-duty career-training certificate programs, licensure exams, and academic or vocational credentials, and even re-certification. It was first made available in October 1, 2019 to the Fort Hood, Fort Campbell, Fort Carson, Fort Drum, Fort Riley, and JBLM bases. As of January 1, 2020, the program is available to all installations.
To see if you qualify, email us here
Grants (Non Military)
- Workforce Grant
We have partnered with private institutions to provide assistance to qualified students. The Workforce Grant is in place to help reinvigorate the workforce amidst the ongoing pandemic. If qualified, a student may receive up to 50% of tuition assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Zero Interest Monthly Payment Plans
Payment plans are available for any student at zero interest. This option is available for every university partner. Click here for a complete list.