Public Speaking Expert
It’s rare to find a management or mid-level position these days that doesn’t involve public speaking. While this may not always be a traditional speech made before a captive audience, public speaking is at the heart of every day operations for many organizations. Moreover, in today’s technology-driven workplace, communications, presentations and demonstrations given online to colleagues or potential clients are not only effective tools, but essential to success in many positions. The ability to articulate ideas, communicate clearly in a professional forum and introduce new concepts to broad audiences is essential to professional success. Public speaking is essential to success in any sales or management role, but will also prove extremely useful for any professional looking toward advancement in their current position.
The Public Speaking program helps students to set themselves apart from their peers and colleagues with polished, professional presentation skills that will be tapped by superiors for a variety of presentations, from bringing in prospective clients and ultimately close deals. This valuable program provides students with a basic understanding of public speaking and how to prepare and present a variety of speeches. Good public speaking skills are extremely rare and successful students will absolutely be set apart from their colleagues should they master the sills offered in this program. This program will also consider how to plan and design effective slideshow presentations using Microsoft's PowerPoint software. It includes practical tips and examples for mapping the presentation, incorporating research, using templates, selecting visual elements, and delivering the presentation.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of public speaking and speech delivery principles
- Analyze the delivery of other students’ speeches
- Perform audience analysis tasks
- Prepare speech topics and outlines
- Select supporting materials and presentation aids in speech preparation
- Prepare each of the components of a speech
- Prepare a variety of different speech types
- Define effective communication
- Describe the qualities of a well-designed slideshow presentation
- Identify common problems when using PowerPoint to design slideshows
- Differentiate between effective and ineffective PowerPoint slides
- Discuss the importance of having a clear purpose or goal for your presentation
- Explain the four components of goal-oriented communication
- Consider the importance of understanding your audience
- Conduct audience analysis
- Map your presentation using the "Forecast, Present, Echo" structure
- Incorporate research into your presentation
- Assess websites for reliability and credibility
- Use slideshow templates effectively
- Select images that are professional and well-designed
- Choose visually appealing colors and fonts
- Consider how design trends can be applied to slideshows
- Define the minimalist approach to design
- Identify the signs and symptoms of speaking anxiety
- Describe methods for managing speaking anxiety, including relaxation strategies
- Design a PowerPoint presentation that features recommended design principles
- Use Microsoft Office®
There is National Certification exam that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Public Speaking (SPKG)
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here
- MyCAA for Eligible US Military Spouses
MyCAA is a $4000 education grant for spouses of service members on active duty in paygrades E1-E5, W1-W2, O1-O2. Spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserves in the same paygrades, in title 10 orders, are also eligible.
MyCAA covers: tuition, externship and national certification exam vouchers
Our university partners provide, as job aids, at no extra cost: books / workbooks, laptop, mentor support, 12 mos subscription to CampusEd, job placement assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Army Credentialing Assistance
The Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) program is a government-instituted training and education program that provides a grant of up to $4,000 to eligible soldiers. The grant can be used to enroll in more than 1,600 industry-recognized off-duty career-training certificate programs, licensure exams, and academic or vocational credentials, and even re-certification. It was first made available in October 1, 2019 to the Fort Hood, Fort Campbell, Fort Carson, Fort Drum, Fort Riley, and JBLM bases. As of January 1, 2020, the program is available to all installations.
To see if you qualify, email us here
Grants (Non Military)
- Workforce Grant
We have partnered with private institutions to provide assistance to qualified students. The Workforce Grant is in place to help reinvigorate the workforce amidst the ongoing pandemic. If qualified, a student may receive up to 50% of tuition assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Zero Interest Monthly Payment Plans
Payment plans are available for any student at zero interest. This option is available for every university partner. Click here for a complete list.